About Houston in Action
Houston in Action (HiA) is the collective power of people and organizations throughout the Greater Houston area coming together to promote community leadership and break down systemic barriers to civic participation. Please see our website for more information at http://houstoninaction.org/
About the Position
We are looking for a self-starter with robust analytical and visualization skills to guide Houston in Action’s data collection and management strategy. The Data Director will synthesize demographic and voter trends to inform community organizing programs across our network of partners and will be responsible for maintaining all data systems, maps and reporting functions. The Data Director will act as a champion for Houston in Action and its partners by understanding their programs and the trends impacting their target communities. Houston in Action has a strong culture of collaboration, learning and innovation. Team members are expected to model leadership and proactive learning to advance our mission, vision, and core strategies. Success measures include the ability to translate data for multiple audiences, creativity in adapting procedures related to digital organizing and social media engagement, and effective team building skills.
- Ability to improvise & implement processes in Every Action, VAN (Voter Activation Network), and other civic engagement tools. Experience with Civis analytics data warehouse is a plus.
- Experience cleaning and manipulating different data sets. Experience with census and voter data is a plus.
- Understanding of how tables interact in SQL & how to perform a join.
- Experience creating data visualizations (including maps) with Google Sheets, Tableau, or other tools.
- Exceptional attention to detail and robust organizational skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with multiple deadlines or under pressure.
- Work or volunteer experience in civic engagement, political, or issue advocacy.
- A track record of supporting racial equity outcomes and ability to work effectively with communities of color in political settings.
This position will report to the Executive Director and will;
- Develop & implement processes across Every Action, VAN, and visualization and mapping software.
- Provide mentorship and leadership to staff and partners working on data projects
- Conduct training on data structures, best practices, data collection methods, and analysis.
- Manage contracts and vendor relationships.
- Effectively plan and delegate work.
- Effectively navigate complex internal and external situations and help maximize results for the organization.
- Proactively provide analysis and information that effectively supports decision making.
- This position is full-time, with a minimum salary of $ 70, 000 per year, commensurate with experience.
- Comprehensive medical, dental and paid time off benefits.
For more information or questions, please contact Sacha at email@example.com and reference Data Director in the subject line.