Director of Public Policy and Elections
Houston, TX, United States | Full-time | COVID-19 remote
Employment Type: Full-Time, Exempt, Staff Position, At-Will
Location: Houston, Texas, Museum District office, Covid-19 remote
About Houston in Action
Houston in Action envisions a Harris County where every person has the opportunity to play a powerful role in shaping a just & vibrant community. We center Black, Latinx, Asian American, youth, women, & communities with lower income & less education, and we serve as a hub for coordination, exploration, & strategy where we re-imagine the systems that impact civic participation for residents of the Houston region. Learn more at houstoninaction.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Director of Public Policy and Elections will advance public policy and electoral change at the city, county and state level that seeks to address inequities in Houston in Actions’ communities of focus: low-wage, BIPOC, and youth.
We seek an experienced and energetic professional who will lead our Public Policy and Elections Department to build and strengthen HiA’s public policy, civic engagement and political program. The Director of Public Policy and Elections will work closely with HiA partners to develop and execute rigorous public policy, political and civic engagement programs. The Director manages long-term strategic thinking about how HiA and its partners can use public policy and political engagement to build sustainable power in communities of focus.
A strong candidate will have significant experience in public policy, developing political campaign strategies, and working with community-based organizations. The candidate will be able to envision and execute all elections coordination work that is both 501c3 and 501c4. They will build and manage program plans, and will have the capacity and emotional intelligence to develop and maintain robust relationships with partners, members and elected officials.
This position reports to the Executive Director and will have responsibilities for building a Public Policy and Elections team.
- Develop and strengthen HiA’s Public Policy and Elections Department, including identifying strategic opportunities for growth and success as well as managing challenges.
- Develop and implement a strategic public policy agenda that aligns with HiA’s mission and priorities.
- Oversee development of elections plan by working with the internal team and partners in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of voter engagement and political programs;
- Build and direct strong, well-designed advocacy strategies that incorporate public policy change, community organizing and racial justice.
- Create and manage Voter Engagement Table
- Plan and execute monthly voter engagement working group meetings, including preparation for meetings, co-creating with members and debriefing.
- Work with the data team to ensure tracking and reporting of activities
- Work with the Academy to uplift training needs of member organizations
- Coordinate with other departments within the organization to ensure that the public policy and elections program aligns with HiA’s broader strategy
- Represent HiA in key tables, coalitions, and meetings with allies and partners
- Recruit and hire additional members for the Public Policy and Elections Team
- Partner with the Communications Team to project externally HiA’s agenda and message
- Provide high-level strategic advice to the Executive Director on program development including long-term strategy and growth, targeting, electoral, legislative and ballot initiative opportunities
- A demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice issues and understanding of challenges facing historically marginalized communities;
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree.
- At least 7 years’ professional experience in public policy advocacy, public policy researchand analysis, coalition building, civic engagement, and/or political campaigns; At least 3 years of management experience
- Experience managing political or voter engagement campaigns
- Knowledge of Houston, a strong political network and relationships with community leaders
- Experience in public policy at either the city, county, or state level
- Experience coaching and/or engaging staff in public policy advocacy and/or campaigns
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with diverse audiences, including elected officials, network members, community leaders, and media
- Familiarity with political data, latest technologies, and best practices in the field
- Experience working collaboratively in diverse communities and with grassroots organizations; Experience working across departments or teams within an organization
- Excellent writing, speaking and analytical skills
- Strong self-motivation; ability to meet tight deadlines and balance multiple priorities
- Independent and strong leader that is able to drive project and programs to completion
- Knowledge of Google, Microsoft Office Suite and experience working with project management software (e.g.. Basecamp)HiA offers a competitive salary that is commensurate with the candidate’s experience and a full benefits package. This position is based in Houston, Texas. Due to the Pandemic, this position is currently remote. To apply, please begin by completing the applicant interest form.