Digital Communications Coordinator
Houston, TX, United States | Communications Team | Full-time | COVID-19 remote
Employment Type: Full-Time, Exempt, Staff Position, At-Will
Location: Houston, Texas, Museum District office, Covid-19 remote
Ideal Start Date: May 10, 2021
About Houston in Action
Houston in Action envisions a Harris County where every person has the opportunity to play a powerful role in shaping a just & vibrant community. We center Black, Latinx, Asian American, youth, women, & communities with lower income & less education, and we serve as a hub for coordination, exploration, & strategy where we re-imagine the systems that impact civic participation for residents of the Houston region. Learn more at houstoninaction.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Digital Communications Coordinator serves as a project manager, implementer for a variety of communications needs. A strong generalist, the Coordinator will be charged with leading on specific projects inside and outside of campaigns in the areas of digital asset management, member support and capacity building, communications strategy and movement building.
We are looking for a task-oriented, self-starting and motivated individual to help strengthen the overall communications ecosystem of Houston in Action, our member network, and our collective campaigns. High attention to detail, passion for progressive values, and creativity are central to success in this role, as well as strong understanding of or lived experience as a member of a historically marginalized community. This position requires an ability to manage multiple streams of work in a dynamic news environment while also maintaining mid and long-term plan milestones. Some weekends and evenings required. Travel within the greater Houston region may be required as permitted by Covid safety guidelines.
This position works in tandem with the communications team of three and may have responsibilities to all project, program, campaign, and internal teams, as well as external Houston in Action members and partners.
Competitive candidates will have exceptional abilities in two or more of the following major responsibilities areas below. For those without strong abilities in a third area, candidates should share intentions to expand capabilities and experience in that responsibility area.
Digital Production and Management
- Manages communications projects as assigned, collaborating with necessary team members, external members or partners, and executing steps on a timeline
- Manages the development of compelling graphics and copy to further narrative priorities, including graphics, memes, and videos with Design Specialist for social posts, online ads, email blasts, etc.
- Manages 501(c)3 entity’s social media and digital presence across various platforms including Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook, with possible expansion to TikTok
- Manages the social media calendar in collaboration with internal and external teams
- Leads social media channel growth strategy and tracks progress to goals
- Works closely with the Data Director in tracking, evaluating, and reporting on the effectiveness of our social media analytics, providing strategies for improvement
- Makes updates to organization’s websites using WordPress, on an as-needed basis
Member & Partner support and capacity building
- Approaches member and partner support and capacity building creatively to identify and coordinate communications opportunities
- Explores how new social media platforms and features can be used for organizing and advocacy goals
- Provides coaching and technical assistance to other organizers and community members, helping them use technology and online outreach to further organizing goals
- Facilitates the Communications team efforts to help train members and leaders to share their stories through videos, images, writing, press interviews, storytelling trainings etc.
- Works in the field to support photography and video needs with members, partners and staff, for field events, media, and other photo-worthy moments as needed.
Communications Strategy and Movement Building
- Stays on top of current events and social media trends; identifies opportunities to advance our message and visibility
- Stays on top of member and partner activity; identifies opportunities to uplift their work in support of collective efforts
- Engages members and partners in social media campaigns/efforts and provides support and training to partners to strengthen their social media efforts
- Supports additional communications work, including earned media, report writing, scripts, campaign writing, email writing and other communications efforts, as needed
- 2-3 years’ experience managing Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook channels with medium-to-large followings, developing timely and relevant content, adapted for each platform
- Passion for and experience in working with young people of color, low-income folks, BIPOC communities, immigrants, and refugees, especially from an intersectional perspective, including LGBTQIA+ communities
- Experience in grassroots organizing, advocacy, and/or electoral engagement techniques and how digital strategy can help advance off-line organizing
- Working knowledge of video and audio equipment
- Experience updating website graphics and email templates, writing and light code
- Excellent writing skills, with ability to write for different audiences and mediums
- Ability to be strategic, understand organizational goals, be aware of opportunities and challenges, and take initiative to achieve goals; works well independently
- Strong time management, organizational, and work planning skills; ability to adjust work activity as needed and manage multiple projects according to timelines
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment; independent, proactive and able to work under the pressure of tight deadlines and changing priorities; comfortable with on-the-ground learning
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary range of $50,000–$65,000
- Comprehensive health benefits, including medical, dental, PTO, and 401K
- Ability to work at a computer, speaking and typing, for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift and carry up to 20 pounds
For next steps, please complete the following application form: https://forms.gle/SGpFWaVeusNzT7Xj8