Coordinator of Strategic Initiatives
About Houston in Action
Houston in Action is the collective power of people and organizations throughout the Greater Houston area coming together to promote community leadership and break down systemic barriers to civic participation. Please see our website for more information at houstoninaction.org
About the Position
We seek an experienced and energetic professional to support our Coordination work which encompasses our:
- Academy: specifically focused on bringing together and expanding collectively our knowledge on racial justice, organizing and systems that impact our lives;
- Membership: building and maintaining, true and close relationships with our network of members and partners that support and are supported by the coalition.
- Coordination of Campaigns: Currently on equitable vaccine distribution.
- Long-term Organizing: building and maintaining a long term strategy to advance leader centered strategies to build people power in Black, LatinX and AAPI communities.
A strong candidate will have experience in facilitation of stakeholder engagement with diverse backgrounds, as well as have a deep understanding of racial justice frameworks and how to coordinate campaigns.
The position reports to the Director of Coordination but will work closely with the Executive Director on special projects.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary range of $50,000–$65,000
- Matched 401(k) contributions
- 10 paid federal holidays per year
- 6 hours hours of vacation and sick time per two weeks standard pay period, and 8 hours per extra pay period (totaling 20 days per year), with a maximum balance of 232 hours.
- Parental leave
- $50 per month cell phone stipend
- A laptop computer
- Reimbursement for business expenses
The policies, programs, and benefits available to eligible employees of Houston in Action are outlined in the Employee Handbook.
Support with Campaign Management
- Facilitate Task Forces and Working Groups (including preparing agendas and meeting materials), ensure information flows appropriately across Houston in Action’s various groups, and maintain communication with individual participants to sustain their engagement in Houston in Action
- Interface with members, partners, elected officials and staff, funders and other relevant stakeholders needed for successful completion of the work
- Work with all staff and consultants necessary to complete the coordination priorities for each campaign.
- Engage and support the Coordination team in expanding HiA’s organizing plans in the LatinX, Black and AAPI communities in Houston
Support with Academy Coordination
- Support the Organizer in co creating and facilitating racial justice trainings to advance our commitment to racial justice
- Support the Organizer in managing relationships with other local training entities and aligning local training plans by experts to enhance the collective regional efforts.
Support with Membership Management
- Utilize strong interpersonal and public speaking skills to effectively communicate about Houston in Action and the civic engagement field to all relevant community partners
- Promote inclusivity and create safe spaces for difficult conversations
- Develop and oversee a communications and community engagement plan that:
- Create Awareness of Houston in Action
- Include community voice/voice of those with lived experience in all facets of Houston in Action
- Encourages community partners to align their work to Houston in Action’s goals and strategies
- Secures commitment necessary from power brokers and influencers
- Engage Houston in Action members through their memberships process (new members and retention).
- Actively look for and engage new partners into the collective work of Houston in Action
- Support partner organizations in aligning their resources to Houston in Action’s goals and strategies, including state or federal funding sources
- Leading special projects as identified and agreed upon with the Director of Coordination and/or the Executive Director
Apply for this position here.