Houston in Action is seeking a motivated and dedicated Door to Door Canvasser to support our campaign to reduce the number of individuals expected not to be counted in the 2020 Census. The Canvasser will survey, educate and inform residents within Harris County about the upcoming census and gather commitments to be counted.
The ideal candidate is an excellent communicator and a results-driven who believes deeply in the importance of building civic engagement and leadership. The canvasser will be responsible for driving a sustainable effort to educate individuals and boost awareness about the upcoming 2020 Census. The Canvasser will be responsible for driving a sustained effort to educate individuals and boost public awareness about the school. Their responsibilities will include articulating a crafted messaging, data entry, support with turnout for key events, and leadership identification. They will be responsible for doing all of this in collaboration with staff, partner organizations, local government officials and allies.
|Targeted Hard to Count Communities:
- Communities of Color
- Low Income
- Youth 18 to 25
- Foreign Born
- Limited English Proficiency
- Limited internet access
- Parents with Young Children
- Formerly Incarcerated
- People with Disabilities
About Houston in Action:
Houston in Action is the collective power of people and organizations throughout the Greater Houston area coming together to promote community leadership and to break down systemic barriers to civic participation. HiA consists of over 50 organizations and stakeholders that have developed a culture of transparency, working together, and empowering disenfranchised communities through community-led organizing. More information is available at houstoninaction.org.
About the Role:
- Canvassing door to door and hard to count communities to boost public awareness, and persuade individuals to commit to being counted in the 2020 Census
- Assist Partner Organizers to identify of community leaders and local influencers
- Attend and support with turnout for partner events, Census Informational Sessions, Census Labs Events and other tactics to move the campaign forward.
- Regularly support the communication efforts the campaign in reference to progress and success to supervisor, staff, and partners
- Complete follow-up
- Other duties as needed
- Hire, train, and manage a team of canvassers to go door-to-door and speak with Harris County residents and business owners about the importance of having and using a health insurance plan
- Enforce quality control measures to ensure the integrity of all data collected through canvass activities
- Ensure that the needs of the canvass program are being met and make adjustments to program tactics as needed
- Use VAN (Voter Activation Network) and other programs to ensure accurate and timely data entry
- Complete daily and weekly reports on progress to goal for all metrics
- Conduct regular staff evaluations
- Represent the campaign with professionalism and ethical conduct
Competencies and Qualifications
- At least a (1) cycle of experience in canvassing or canvass supervision
- Bilingual speaker recommended (not required)
- Exceptionally strong communication skills, with an ability to communicate across lines of difference and demonstrated focus on outreach and targeted communications
- Ability to think critically as well as self-identify problems and potential solutions
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends
- Meeting and exceeding strict daily, weekly, and monthly goals including volunteer recruitment dials, volunteer shift recruitment, volunteer shift completion, and volunteer productivity.
- Demonstrated success in metrics driven work
- Adhering to a strict daily reporting schedule.
- Full-time access to a car (Highly Recommended but not Required) – Bonuses for Drivers
Pay Rate and Hours
Typical shifts will be 10 am to 4 pm on weekends and 11 am to 7 pm on weekdays. We estimate Canvass Supervisors will be working 30 per week. This is a temporary position as an independent contractor to end no later than June 31st.
The pay rate is $18.00 per hour.
The critical features of this job are described above; they may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
RSVP TO OUR HIRING EVENT